Put your palms together. Open the lower part of the palms while keeping the middle three finger tips touching.
Hum (blue in color)
【Mahottara Heruka Mantra :】
【Mahottara Heruka Dharmalakṣaṇa Brief Introduction】
Mahottara Heruka emanates from the Primordial Buddha. He has 21 faces, 42 arms and 8 legs. In every hand he is holding a bright mirror, each of which shows one of the 42 peaceful deities. The 42 peaceful deities include the Primordial Buddha, the Mahesvara Buddha Mother, the Five Buddhas, Five Buddha Mothers, eight major Bodhisattvas, eight major Bodhisattva consorts, four wise kings, four wise kings’ wrathful queens, and six munis. Mahattara Heruka’s Buddha mother has nine faces, eighteen arms, and four legs. Two of her hands hold a Kartika and skull-cup while her remaining hands hold a shining mirror. She has a beast-like face and appears wrathful.
【Living Buddha Lian-sheng Sheng-yen Lu Dharma Talk – Mahottara Heruka Background and Magnificence】
Mahottara Heruka is also called ”Clairvoyant Eye Vajra.” Besides the 42 peaceful deities, there are an additional 58 wrathful deities. Together there are 100 peaceful and wrathful deities, also called ”The 100 Civil and Military Deities.”
During the Tang Dynasty the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra was popular. The first Buddha mentioned in the High King sutra is the Pure Light Secret Buddha. Most people don’t know who that is, however I must inform you that the Pure Light Secret Buddha is Adharma Buddha, the Primordial Buddha, and Mahottara Heruka, his transformation.
The top part of Mahottara Heruka’s symbol is a circle with a dot inside. The dot, which symbolizes the totality of all buddhas, represents the Primordial Buddha. The lower part of the symbol looks like ”川, chuan.” This ”chuan” symbolizes the net of great illusion and the manifestation of everything.
Very few in either the human or heavenly realms know the practice of ”100,000 Recitations of Mahottara Heruka” that I transmit. However, fake practices of ”100,000 Recitations of Mahottara Heruka” do exist in the human world.
I divide ”100,000 Recitations of Mahottara Heruka” into five major sections. They are ”Body,” ”Speech,” ”Mind,” ”Merit,” and ”Karma.” Additionally, it also has ”cultivation” and ”yoga” sections.
- For the ”Body” section, I expound on ”Shakyamuni Preliminaries,” ”The Elephant King Practice,” and ”The Elephant King Entering Water.”
- As for the ”Speech” section, I explain ”Moon Palace Light Drops,” ”Single Practice,” and ”Hayagriva Vajra.”
- For the ”Mind” section, I describe ”The Secret of Auspiciousness and Wish-fulfilling,” ”The Secret of Unification of Three Flowers,” and ”The secret of Thousand Lotus.”
- In regards to the section on ”Merit,” I teach ”The most Extraordinary and Supreme Auspiciousness,” ”The Supreme Nectar,” and ”Wish-fulfilling Mani Jewel Practice.”
- And for the ”Karma” section, I expound on ”The Secret of Cluster of Stars,” ”The Ignition of Illuminating Light,” and ”The Brilliance of Swastika.”
- In addition, I lecture on ”Perfect Dharma Characters,” ”The Tantra of Mind,” ”Endless Vows and Infinite Illusory Bodies,” and ”The Great Merit of the Illusory Net.”
What is the fundamental meaning of ”Mahottara Heruka?” It has two words. The change from the initial state to the myriad phenomena and then returning from the myriad phenomena back to the very beginning is very special. Why is it this way? Returning to the beginning from the current myriad state is what all practitioners are cultivating. Today, whether you are practicing buddhadharma, Taoism, or Tantric dharma, you are returning from the myriad to one, from one to zero, from zero to Buddha, and to unification with the Tao. What is the human world? The human world is actually a great illusion. All phenomena are illusions.
Returning to the initial state in cultivation is reverting oneself back to the primordial state. Through this practice one can attain the three-bodies. This is the secret key to succeeding in the Mahottara Heruka practice. It is meant for human beings like us to cultivate and return to the primordial buddha of Adharma and to Mahottara Heruka.
His mudra represents the character ”川.” However when you form the mudra, your fingers are together whereas the three strokes of ”川” are separated. Now we have his mudra, his image, and his mantra ”Om。bie-zha。zhuo-da。Ma-ha-seh。xi-li。he-ru-ka。hum-pei。”
I have revealed the key formula to this practice. The combination of his mudra, image, and mantra establishes the sadhana of Mahottara Heruka. Realizing that this mundane world is a great illusion and all phenomena are just a magical net, I was enlightened with buddha nature. The profound principle for illuminating the mind and seeing one’s buddha nature lies herein.
There is actually nothing to gain in the world!
【Mahottara Heruka Sadhana】
Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru’s Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and VisualizationMahottara Heruka Mudra : Put your palms together. Open the lower part of the palms while keeping the middle three finger tips touching.
Seed Syllable: Hum (Blue in color)Visualization: First empty the mind Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
(1) Visualize the Primordial Adharma Buddha appearing in the void with a blue seed syllable「」,”hum,” in the center of his heart and emitting blue light.
(2) Visualize the seed syllable revolving and transforming into Mahottara Heruka. He has 21 faces, 42 arms and 8 legs. In every hand he is holding a bright mirror, each of which shows one of the 42 peaceful deities. The 42 peaceful deities include the Primordial Buddha, the Mahesvara Buddha Mother, the five Buddhas, the five Buddha Mothers, the eight major Bodhisattvas, the eight major Bodhisattvas’ consorts, the four wisdom kings, the four wisdom kings’ wrathful queens, and the six munis. Mahottara Heruka’s s Buddha mother has nine faces, 18 arms and four legs. Two of her hands hold a Kartika and a skull-cup while while her remaining hands hold a shining mirror. She has a beast-like face and appears wrathful.
(3) From the brow point of the Mahottara Heruka, a beam of white light shines onto one’s brow point. From the throat of the Mahottara Heruka, a beam of red light shines onto one’s throat. From the heart of the Mahottara Heruka, a beam of blue light shines onto one’s heart. The three lights of white, red, and blue merge completely into one’s body-mind
- Recite the Mahottara Heruka Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, bie-zha, zhuo-da, Ma-ha-seh, xi-li, he-ru-ka, hum-pei.
- Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha’s Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
Dismissal: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.
An empowerment must be received from Living Buddha Lian-sheng or an authorized True Buddha School master before engaging in this particular sadhana.