Kurukulle Ten-direction Arrow-shooting Sadhana
Preparation of shrine:
The Mandala of Kurukulle Ten-direction Arrow-shooting Sadhana
Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
Invoke ”Kurukulles in ten directions: Kurukulles above, Kurukulles below, and Kurukulles in all eight directions.”
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru’s Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Kurukulle Mudra : Place your palms together. Bend both fourth fingers hooking them together.Video Demo: Guru Performs Kurulle Mudra
Visualization: First empty the mind.
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
(1) Visualize Mount Sumeru emerging from the void. A moon disc is atop the peak of the mount. Inside the moon disc is a red lotus flower engendered from the「」”bang” syllable. On top of the lotus flower is the 「」”chuli” syllable emitting red light.
(2) Visualize the 「」”chuli” syllable inside the moon disc revolving and transforming into Kurukulle. Kurukulle has one face with an angry smile, three eyes and four arms. Her upper body wears a red heavenly garment while the lower half has a tiger skin skirt. Her chest is embellished with rubies and her body radiates red precious lights. Her right hand holds a red utpala flowered arrow while her left hand holds an utpala stemmed bow. Her lower right hand holds a red utpala hook and the left, a red utpala lasso. Kurukulle’s right leg is bent inwards while the left is straight and stands on a she-devil. She wears a Kuru-skull crown with a halo encircling all around her.
(3) Visualize the light of the red fire from Kurukulles shining in all ten directions through the void including the practitioner who also receives the light’s radiance.
”Pray to Kurukulles above, below and in the eight directions. The smoke offering I practice is for XX. May my wishes be granted and everything be perfect and auspicious.”
- Recite the Kurukulle Ten-direction Arrow-shooting Sadhana Heart Mantra (108 times):
shang-fang-gu-lu-gu-lie-fo-mu。 (Kurukulles above)
ba-fang-gu-lu-gu-lie -fo-mu。(Kurukulles in the eight directions)
- Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
- Praise Verse
Pay homage to Kurukulle,
Whose coral red lights shine through all ten directions.
Pray for Kurukulle to be our dharma-helping companion,
Without leaving us ever from now until reaching buddhahood.
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha’s Name (3 times)
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
Dismissal: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
End of Practice: May all endeavors be auspicious.