Shakyamuni Buddha Sadhana
Start by praying for the root lineage blessing: First empty the mind. Next, visualize the Root Lineage Guru Living Buddha Lian-sheng appearing above your crown and radiating light on everyone present. Chant the Root Lineage Guru Heart Mantra 7 times. Pray to the Root Lineage Guru to empower you so that the practice will be auspicious.
Engender the Four Immeasurable Minds: Visualize your parents, children, relatives, friends, and enemies join you in this practice.
Wake-Up Call : Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
- Recite the Purification Mantras and Earth God Mantra
- Recite the Invocation Mantra
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization
- Mandala Offering
- Fourfold Refuge
- Armor Protection
- Recite the High King Avalokitesvara Sutra (1 time).
- Recite the Rebirth Mantra (7 times).
- Recite the Root Guru’s Heart Mantra (108 times):
Om, gu-ru, lian-sheng sid-dhi hum
- Mudra and Visualization
Shakyamuni Buddha Mudra (Inward or Outward Three-Mountain Mudra):
Inward Three-Mountain Mudra:
Put the palms together. Bend the index and ring fingers inside the palms and keep them touching while maintaining the rest of fingers straight and touching.
Outward Three-Mountain Mudra:
Put the palms together. Bend the index and ring fingers and cross them outside the palms while keeping the rest of fingers straight and touching.Illustration of mudras:
Visualization: First empty the mind
Chant the Emptiness Mantra:
Om, si-ba-wa, su-da, sa-er-wa, da-er-ma, si-ba-wa, su-do-hang. (3 times)
(1) Above an expanse of ocean is a stretch of clear sunny sky. A moon disc rises from the ocean into the sky. Inside the moon disc is the white seed syllable「」”huo,” emitting great light.
(2) The seed syllable inside the moon disc revolves and transforms into golden Shakyamuni. His right hand touches the ground while his left hand forms the meditation mudra, on which is a bowl filled with nectar. He wears a monk’s three garments. His appearance is perfect and dignified. He is brilliant and translucent like lazurite while meditating within the peaceful illumination of a white lotus seat.
(3) From the brow point of Shakyamuni, a beam of white light shines onto one’s brow point. From the throat of the Shakyamuni, a beam of red light shines onto one’s throat. From the heart of the Shakyamuni, a beam of blue light shines onto one’s heart. The white, red, and blue colored beams merge completely into one’s body-mind.
(4) Visualize the nectar in the bowl transforming into a white light, ascending to the sky, forming an arch and descending to one’s meditation seat. The white light pours through one’s crown into one’s body. One is meditating within the white light.
- Recite the Shakyamuni Buddha Heart Mantra (108 times):
- Nine Cycle Breathing and Entering Samadhi
- Emerging from Samadhi
- Recite the Principal Heart Mantras
- Recite the Buddha’s Name (3 times)
Na-mo san-shi-liu-wan-yi yi-shi-yi-wan jiu-qian-wu-bai tong-ming-tong-hao ah-mi-tuo-fo.
Namo the 36 trillion 119 thousand and 500 Amitabha Buddhas.
- Recite the Hundred Syllable Mantra (3 times)
- Tender the Great Homage with Visualization (same as step 3)
- Recite the Completion Mantra
Om, Bu Lin. (3 times)
Om Mani Padme Hum.
Dismissal: Clap twice, then cross hands and snap thumbs and middle fingers.
End of Practice: Xiu-fa yuan-man, ru-yi ji-xiang. May all endeavors be auspicious.
Note: For Shakyamuni’s image, please reference Living Buddha Lian-sheng’s Book 54 of Vajrayana Karma Practices – Shakyamuni is the Principal Deity of Purification.